Barbara J. Braden, Ph.D, SJN'66, BSN'73
Dr. Braden will be honored during the morning Commencement Ceremony on May 18, 2013
Dr. Braden's full citation will be available after May 18, 2013.
John P. Curtin, BS’75, MD’79, MBA
Dr. John P. Curtin is a professor of obstetrics and gynecology, surgeon, writer and lecturer of international renown whose lengthy tenure in academic medicine has promoted high-quality, comprehensive clinical care in the field of gynecologic cancer and surgery, garnering Dr. Curtin the respect of peers and patients along the way.
Following teaching assignments at the University of Minnesota Medical School, the University of Southern California and Cornell University Medical College, Dr. Curtin has gone on to become Associate Director of Academic Affairs and Education at the New York University (NYU) Cancer Institute. He also serves as Director of Gynecologic Oncology in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at the NYU School of Medicine. He is a board examiner with the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology and served as the 43rd president of the Gynecologic Surgeon’s Society – the first Creighton University School of Medicine graduate to have served in this prestigious position.
Dr. Curtin’s academic career is decorated with teaching awards and research grants in excess of $2 million. He served as the principal investigator of the Department of Defense Ovarian Cancer Research Program, overseeing the development and uses of antibodies in epithelial ovarian cancer. He has published more than 90 peer-reviewed articles and is a reviewer for numerous medical journals. On more than 95 occasions he has presented at major medical congresses and lectured at universities throughout the world.
Dr. Curtin has admirably and diligently pursued his life’s work of preventing and treating gynecologic cancer. In the spirit of his Catholic, Jesuit education, he has lived his life as a person for others – selflessly pursuing advancements that will improve women’s health and extend their lives.
In recognition of his contributions to humanity, the University is pleased to award John P. Curtin, M.D., the Creighton University Alumni Achievement Citation this twelfth day of May, two-thousand and twelve.
Criteria for the Award
- Being a degreed alumnus/alumna of Creighton University.
- Having provided distinguished service to his/her community, to the state, to learning, or mankind; to the arts, to the sciences, or by constructive philanthropy or some other outstanding public service.
- Reflecting honor on his/her Alma Mater through a manifestation of intellectual ability which would suggest his/her recognition by this University.
- Manifesting such qualities in his/her personal life that would mark him/her as cultured and of high moral principles guided by the Jesuit ideals of being men and wome
n for others.
- When completing questions 1 and 2 on the nomination form, it is critical that nominators provide specific examples of how the nominee meets the criteria for this citation.
- A supporting resume/curriculum vitae must accompany the nomination.
- Up to three letters of support will be accepted.
The Alumni Achievement Citation may be granted at Commencement, or at any regular or designated convocation of the total University.